The allotment holders manage the day to day running of the allotments. This opens up the opportunity for the Association to apply for funding from other bodies, bulk-buy seed and plants etc. and facilitate social events.
The Association invoices all tenants and collect all rents into its own bank account. An annual sum will then be paid on invoice to the Council for the following services:
- General maintenance of the access road, boundary fences, car-parking areas
- Public Liability Insurance
- Provision and maintenance of the current water supply
- Payment of all rates and taxes as may be charged upon the Allotment Garden
- Provision of any necessary pest control measures
The Association manages the waiting list and allocates plots as available. The Association undertakes to manage the allotment gardens and paths between them, to maintain the code of conduct for allotment holders and decide on any necessary transfer to new tenants.
In return for the reduction in officer time spent managing the allotments, the invoice to the Association from the Council will amount to a sum that leaves the Association £500 a year.
Only those who live within the Midsomer Norton area are entitled to an allotment. Westfield and Radstock have their own allotment allocation.
The current Allotment Association Web Site is: http://www.msnallotments.net